A new offering for learned societies and university presses developed in partnership with Sarah Greaves PhD.
Are you a learned society or mission-driven publisher facing uncertainty in your business?
Are you unsure about the right strategy in the face of the pandemic, changing funder requirements for open access and Plan S, and the opportunities arising from the open science movement?
Are you looking for strategic insight in a highly complex environment, where information is scarce, incomplete or contradictory?
If so, then we can help.
We are experts in academic publishing. We are especially proficient in supporting organisations seeking to understand how their businesses were affected in the last year and keen to adapt to the ever-changing environment.
Projects we can offer include:
- Building a detailed analysis of your current activity, including publishing and commercial businesses looking at strengths & weaknesses and major competitors
- Refreshing and focusing on your core purpose, translating it into the real choices the organisation faces
- Reimagining member benefits in the light of changing publishing and conference businesses
- Developing a publishing growth strategy including but not limited to transition of journals and subscription revenue to Open Access
- Checking compliance with Plan S policies for transformative journals and agreements – including price transparency workshops, analysis and implementation
Sarah Greaves PhD was formerly Chief Publishing Officer at Hindawi and Publishing Director at Nature. She has been responsible for some of the most successful products and innovative products in the STEM market today.
We do everything you would expect– we are data-driven, client- and output- focused, and commercial – but our combined experience offers a unique depth and breadth for organisations considering their options. Between us we have:
- Launched the largest and highest-prestige Open Access journals in the world
- Been members of cOAlition S price transparency steering group
- Deep financial and quantitative analysis expertise, having worked in Finance Director and CFO roles across the publishing and research sector, as well as over a decade working in business and strategic analysis
- Nearly 20 years providing support to non-profit and mission-driven organisations adapting to change and making a difference in the world
We know your society needs to bring value to your members but that this requires you to be financially sustainable. By embedding with you we can offer an collaborative, pragmatic & analytical approach, and help you find the right balance of risk, reward and impact in these unique circumstances.